Stiles Celebrates 'Movember'
FORT LAUDERDALE – November 20, 2012 – It’s Movember, the time of year when the mustache takes over the world for one month, and this time it’s taking over Stiles, Fort Lauderdale-based commercial real estate developer. Movember is the global men's health charity that encourages men to grow and women to support the moustache for 30 days to raise awareness and funds for men's health -- specifically prostate and testicular cancer initiatives.
"We are proud to be a part of this cause and help to generate much need dialogue about men’s health issues, particularly prostate cancer, which continues to impact the lives of millions around the world,” said Executive Vice President Kenneth Stiles. “We have seen early signs of success with more than $5,000 raised so far from both employees and friends, and we are hoping to double that by the end of the month."
Why is Movember so important?
• In 2012, more than 242,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and
more than 28,000 men will die from prostate cancer
• One new prostate cancer case occurs every 2.1 minutes
• A man dies from prostate cancer every 18.6 minutes
• Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men after skin cancer
Together, Movember and its men's health partners, Prostate Cancer Foundation and the LIVESTRONG Foundation, work to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in the areas of awareness and education, survivorship and research.
• Awareness and Education: Each year, Movember funds and delivers a high-impact awareness program, which aims to communicate men's health messages to the Movember community and its supporters.
• Survivorship: Through the LIVESTRONG Foundation, Movember helps fund their Cancer Navigation Center, which provides free, confidential one-on-one services to help guide men and their families through the cancer journey from treatment to recovery.
• Research: Through the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Movember funds innovative, high-impact research projects for better diagnostics, treatment, and cures of prostate cancer.
According to Movember.com, each mustache grown generates 2,413 conversations about men’s health in person and online, during November. In 2011, 855,203 people participated in Movember raising $126.3 million for men's health.
Kenneth Stiles is leading Team Stiles, which includes more than thirty employees who have joined the cause this month. Team Stiles began their month-long journey clean-shaven and will be documenting their growth on the company’s official team fundraising page at: http://us.movember.com/team/449601
Movember aims to forever change the face of men's health through the power of the mustache, by raising awareness and funds for men’s health initiatives. Since 2003, more than 1.9 million participants have raised over $299MM for the cause, with official Movember campaigns taking place
in 21 countries. Movember funds are used to support a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in the areas of awareness, education, survivorship and research. For more information please visit www.movember.com.
Stiles is a full-service commercial real estate firm with a clear mission: Invest. Build. Manage. Stiles services include development, construction, architecture, leasing and brokerage, property management, acquisitions and financing. Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Stiles also has regional offices in Miami, Fort Myers, Tampa and Orlando, Florida. Stiles is responsible for more than 37 million square feet of office, industrial, retail and mixed-use residential projects throughout the southeastern United States. For more information, please visit http://www.stiles.com or call 954-627-9300.